"Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound" by Johnny Cash
Read the lyrics. This song describes our state of mind right now. It's almost exact with the exception of the verse that begins "I had a little girl one time, her lips were like sherry wine..."
The job in Toledo's hit a rut and could take weeks to fix. In the meantime, FOS needs SB's co-workers here to leave for other assignments. It started sending them notices for their next jobs.
Chithra could be headed to Singapore; Katie and Patrick to Taiwan; and Nate to Malaysia again. We thought our next job was in Chengdu or Anqing, China. But, nothing in this life-style is certain, and it becomes less so once it's been stated.
As I write this, SB's co-workers still plan on leaving, but we are not. Toledo will be home for a few weeks longer, and I'm fine with that. It's comfortable here, and there's plenty to do. The hard part will be missing her co-workers.
They've been my lunch buddies and workout pals, our trivia teammates and dinner dates, a distraction from the job and a reason to get out of the hotel. I didn't name the series about these people "The Road Family" because they're strangers (even though they may be strange).
It's likely we'll run into each other again, on a job further down the road. It's unlikely, though, that we'll all be together as a crew. That's important to a road spouse like me. They have to cover the unit at the refinery for 24-hours, and ipso facto I have 24-hour friend coverage.
There will be other co-workers, road spouses, crews, and natives that we'll befriend on the road, but this Toledo crew is special, even if they're only our first.
Accepting that they're leaving leaves us wondering where we're bound. I feel anxious to know and prepare for where we're going, but it's pointless because it can change on a dime.
In the meantime, alone in our
"Wonderlust King" by Gogol Bordello

No comments:
Post a Comment