Thursday, January 31, 2013

Going Vegan: Why? and Why!?

"Why are you going vegan?"

Oh, good question.  Ah...

It's a challenge.

That's the best answer.

In addition to being a challenge, it's a dietary decision.  I went vegetarian in college as a means to fight the Freshmen 15 and reduce my carbon foot print.  (Reducing animal cruelty added moral benefit.)  In my post-grad years, I maintain it to keep low my genetically high cholesterol.  Vegan is the next step to feeling better.

Going vegan shouldn't be any weirder than someone saying they're doing the Atkins diet or a cranberry cleanse, but it is.  I often find myself having to answer the questions, "Why are you going vegan!?  Are you nuts!?"

Shortly after informing our friends on Facebook, the comments were mostly of disgust and condolences.  SB's best man posted a long 'ew' with many w's and exclamation marks.  Her sister-in-law posted a comment that sounded like the sympathy one might give a battered spouse.  Joking aside, it made me wonder if I wasn't forcing SB into something borderline abusive.

People like to make fun of vegetarians and vegans, and I love it.  My favorite jokes are those that mock our boastfulness.  The best is the "dinner party" joke.

Q:  How do you find a vegan (or vegetarian) at a party?
A:  Don't worry they'll let you know.

I realize I'm playing into that joke by blogging about it and posting it on Facebook, but it's part of our life, our road life.  And we wouldn't be able to do this in China or Brazil or even the foreign land of Texas.  In fact, this might be my last month as a vegetarian, because it's hard to maintain on the road.

For now though, it's a challenge, and in half an hour, it's on!

4 comments:

  1. How does breast milk factor into a vegan's thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to drink it, if that's what you're asking!

      It probably depends on the vegan, but anyone who has a lick a sense knows how valuable breastfeeding is for a child. I'm guessing most wouldn't have a problem, because they wouldn't stop a calf for drinking cows milk. Why stop their child?

      Delete
  2. Where do you get the bulk of your groceries for vegan diet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most grocery stores are pretty well stocked with vegan options, especially in the produce and health food sections. We do a lot of label reading, though. You'd be surprised how many foods are vegan that you already eat.

      Delete