Saturday, February 9, 2013

Travel Writers: Introduction & The Reward (NSFW)

Travel writing is a very broad genre by my definition, because I don't think one needs to go to exotic locales or have unique experiences to create travel literature.

I also don't think travel writing is limited to text.  There are just as many videos, songs, photos, and other media that have literary value akin to travel writing.

All great travel writing takes its readers on a journey, whether over a physical distance like Marco Polo or a psychological distance like Ed Norton's character in Fight Club.  The authors want you, the reader, to go places you've never been and show you how to get back.

Most posts will be articles by well known writers.  With luck and permission, I might even repost some blogs from SB's coworkers and other road spouses.  To spice it up, I will post videos, songs, photos, and other media under this banner.

Each post will include a brief description of the original piece, the creator, and an explanation of why it's worth your time.

Most important, though, I want you to enjoy these posts.  They're entertaining.  I would've forgotten about them, otherwise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This video is not suitable for work (NSFW) or children.


My favorite travel writing addresses why we do it.  This video is about the reward after a journey and what we should do with it afterwards, which is inspire other people to take risks of their own.

1 comment:

  1. In a way, most literature is about some sort of journey.
    However, some favorite writings under travel literature -

    William Least-Heat Moon "Blue Highways"

    Bill Bryson "The Lost Continent" & "Walk in the Woods"

    Twain - "Roughing It", & "Life on the Mississippi"

    ReplyDelete